Role and Mission
Mr Kyriacos Kokkinos has been appointed by the President of the Republic Mr. Nicos Anastasiades Cyprus as the first National Chief Scientist for Research & Innovation R&I in January 2019 with the political Mission to lead and coordinate all efforts for:
Cyprus to become a dynamic and competitive economy, driven by research, scientific excellence, innovation, technological development and entrepreneurship, and a regional hub in these fundamental areas
The Chief Scientist is the political and executive owner for Research and Innovation within the newly adopted Research & Innovation (R&I) Governance System and, in this capacity, holds a number of ex-officio roles such as Member of the National Board of R&I (NBRI), Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Research and Innovation Foundation (RIF) and Chairman of Ministry R&I Coordinators’ Committee.
The mission of the Chief Scientist is to:
- Lead and work with the National Board of Research and Innovation (NBRI) in formulating and executing the national R&I Strategy
- Lead efforts towards Innovative Entrepreneurship for enhancing economy competitiveness and social prosperity and making R&I the new competitive lever for the productive base of the national economy, through research and scientific excellence.
- Coordinate and guide the formulation of national R&I policy, ensuring that the national R&I strategy is executed through coherent and comprehensive policy measures, funding instruments and initiatives
- Architect proposals regarding structure and operation of the national R&I governance system
- Ensure that all stakeholders of the R&I Governance system in Cyprus interact and collaborate in a coordinated and well-orchestrated manner, enabling Cyprus in translating science and research to societal benefits and commercial innovations
- Coordinate and supervise the implementation of the national R&I Policy
- Coordinate and supervise Ministries, public departments and other competent authorities associated with and or involved in drafting and executing R&I policies
- Contribute in raising awareness and nurturing of innovation culture, mobilizing stakeholders and developing the fundamental building blocks of the national R&I ecosystem